Sunday 11 May 2014

1940s-inspired look


Happy Sunday everyone, it's been a rainy, miserable day here so it seemed the perfect opportunity to experiment with some hair and makeup styles for my blog. I've always loved vintage hair and makeup and a couple of birthdays ago my friend Sammi bought me a 'Style Me Vintage: Hair' book by Belinda Hay which I had yet to try out, so I thought I'd try out a 40s inspired look on my friend Sophie. 

Hair

The kit I used: Hairbrush, backcombing brush, separator clips, bobby pins, V05 Strong hold hairspray

'Style Me Vintage: Hair' By Belinda Hay (available on Amazon for £6.89)

The hair style I chose for the look was Victory Rolls as Sophie has naturally curly hair which holds in a style really well. The book has a step by step guide on how to create the style and easy to follow instructions. Firstly, I separated the hair into 4 sections, 3 on the top for the rolls and the rest of the hair left down. After backcombing each section of hair, I rolled each section of hair upwards and secured in place with Bobby pins and hair spray. I repeated this for each of the rolls and then rolled the rest of the hair up and pinned it at the back. I used lots of hairspray to secure the style in place and voila!



 The end result! 


 Beauty

The makeup I used for this look

To match the Victory Rolls, I decided to do a 40s inspired makeup look. I wanted to achieve a natural looking complexion with a hint of blush, defined brows, lined eyes and a strong lip. 

Face

Foundation: I used Dior's Skin Nude BB cream in 001 for the base and applied using a brush to achieve an even coverage.

Concealer: I used Nyx HD Photogenic Concealer in Fair for under the eyes and Rimmel Match Perfection in 010 Ivory to even out the skin tone.

Powder: To set the base, I used Daniel Sandler Invisible Blotting Powder.

Blush: For a hint of colour on the cheeks, I used E.L.F Blush in Candid Coral.

Brows: For well-groomed, neat brows, I simply applied a bit of Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite.

Eyeshadow: I used the Naked 2 Urban Decay palette and used a mix of shades including Foxy, Bootycall and Chopper to achieve a shimmery, nude colour on the lids.

Eye Liner: I used Collection: Extreme 24 hour Felt Tip Liner in Black to line the eyes and add a little flick.

Lashes: I curled Sophie's eyelashes using Shu Uemura Eyelash Curlers and then added 2-3 coats of Soap and Glory's Thick and Fast Mascara in Black.

Highlighter: I used Sleek's Face Contour Kit in Light to highlight the inner corners of the eyes and to add a hint of highlighter to the cheekbones for a bit of shimmer.

Lips: For a beautiful strong red lip, I used Lime Crime: Velvetines in Red Velvet, it's really easy to apply and achieves a lovely, matte finish.



I'm really happy with the end result and I think this look really suits Sophie. The hair and makeup styles really work together to achieve this beautiful vintage look. The hairstyle can be modernised by leaving the back section of hair down to tone it down slightly and the makeup can be mixed up by changing the lip/eye colours to suit the look you are going for.



 Thanks for reading, please feel free to leave a comment and if there's any different styles you would like me to try then let me know... :)

Adele x


No comments:

Post a Comment